Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Ornamental Garden September 2006

This is the most recent bed i've managed to finish but there is still work in progress. The Choisya i had moved from another part of the garden and not sure if this is suffering some transplant stress or damage from the high winds we had...will see how it fairs.
I've still got some stepping stones to put in to the bird house. From the bench on the other side of the garden you can watch the birdies having their lunch. There's quite a few birds at the moment all singing, they aren't feeding much from the feeders at the moment as there are plenty of berries to go at.



I'm working my way around the borders and have broken them down into sections and work on a section at a time that way i get them finished and can keep them clean rather than trying to tackle it all at one time.

It's amazing how the border i planted up in the early summer has grown already, the Miscanthus Sinensis is already 4ft high and starting to spread, likewise with the Penstemon. I used Nicotiana, Geraniums and Violas to fill out the gaps for the summer and add colour. Must start edging the grass properly in the Spring. I had left roughish as i was cutting bits out for the borders.

The plants i put in about three months ago around Blackie's bench are starting to fill out too. I moved a Rose as you couldn't see the flowers and i felt that it was restricting growth on another rose. The Sedum Spectabile is now in flower and the bees love it. Been lots of bees this year but although one or two wasps not in the numbers we usually get them. The Climbing Rose is quickly covering the obelisk i popped in and i have pruned and deadheaded which has resulted in more buds forming. Still the back of the bench to plant up and this will be a memorial garden to Blackie...as her favourite spot was from this bench watching over the garden.

This rose is 'Rhapsody in Blue' and although it looks pink in the picture in natural daylight it looks a very dark blue purple in colour. It's a floribunda rose and one of the most beautiful i've seen, it also has a wonderful perfume. Very much an impulse buy but well worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home