Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Ornamental Garden

With the house being in the centre of the plot this has allowed me to create different gardens to explore. I have names for all my gardens, the veggie garden and the ornamental garden, i've an area i call the compound (behind the swing seat) where i keep all my odds and sods oh and the front garden which i plan to add a bench to as this gets the evening sun. I'm mad on seats in the garden as it tempts you to explore. The compound is still work in progress and eventually will house another shed, my original shed being built under the house roof to save garden space! I've still got the greenhouse base to put in in the veggie garden and this should happen either in the Autumn or early spring! Another adventure then begins when i get my greenhouse in place!





The ornamental area is ongoing and although most of the hard landscaping has been done it's still very much work in progress. It's pretty boring at the mo with a patch of lawn and beds surrounding it. No shape as such, but hope that once i get the existing areas planted i can then start adding a bit of shape and mystery! We decided to build a BBQ - big mistake. I found that it's great when in use but for the rest of the time it's an eyesore so have started demolishing it and plan to put some raised beds here probably to grow herbs or alpines...this will probably happen next yeat at some point, at the mo i'm focusing on finishing the frameplanting and then will start enlarging the beds and making it interesting! If you notice a few ragged edges this is the reason why!



The bench was moved to it' s spot in the corner and i've started planting fragrant plants around it...haven't quite decided what will be in the corner behind the bench but think perhaps a Buddliea or some such. It's been amazing since moving the bench here as it's given a whole new perspective to the garden and changed the line of site....before i hardly went to this area but now i often sit here if the cat will allow me onto her bench! It also catches sun right up to the last ray which is nice when you've been at work all day.

The trellis which divides the ornamental garden from the veggie garden is starting to get clothed in roses and clematis and i find this very exciting. It's amazing just how quick these romp away to cover a trellis. It will also act as a windbreak which is essential as we face the sea and this is in line with the Easterly's. The plot faces South West so it's very hot....all the garden gets sun for some or most of the day which is helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home