Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Knot garden progress

Inspiration comes in many guises. Following on from my knot garden idea i've been trying to design it but to no avail. I have been trying to draw a celtic knot but it's very difficult to do.

Now here's an interesting concept i came across whilst doing my research into knot gardens is to use a mixture of box, and two other evergreen herbs for contrast. So i have decided on Box and Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia 'Hidcote') and Grey Santolina (Santolina chamaecyparissus).

Whilst visiting Dundee the hotel i was staying in was originally a Scottish mansion house and had beautiful landscaped gardens. The dining room overlooked box maze which was absolutely stunning. It was, of course, on a much larger scale than i was planning but it's inspired me all over again to get the pencil out and get the design right.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Q said...

I too have always wanted to do a knot garden on a small scale.
I would love to know how to propagate box.
I so enjoyed reading your posts.
Thanks so much.
Sherry

4:08 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks q for your nice comments, it's so nice that you enjoy reading my blog. Box cuttings are relatively easy to do...you can take cuttings in late summer or early autumn. You could use the clippings in autumn to do this. Just cut below a leaf joint and put several in a pot of moist potting compost, cover with a plastic bag cuttings should have rooted after several weeks...check the base of the pot. Then carefully split the rooted cuttings and pot them into their own pot.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Are you going to have enough space...
I now what you mean about the veggie garden slowly spreading out, with only a 10ft x 6ft bit many of the veggies have ended up in truggs.
Love that picture of the Dundee hotel and yes your pictures are fine..
When you were at the 70's night did you have your platforms on...Lol

Cheers Mark

12:10 PM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

I'm fast running out of space but still one or two gaps. Was looking for a lottie to expand my veggie side but no success as yet. The knot garden will go in my utility bit which is just stones at the mo with a clothes pole in the middle so will make better use of it.

LOL...yep did wear platforms with a kaftan, false eyelashes, wig and liquid eyeliner - had to get the authentic feel! A friend went with her roller boots on as a roller girl which caused quite a stir...it was all good fun.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home