Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Early June 2007

The weather over the last few weeks has really brought the garden on and everything is green and lush. For those of you that follow my blog this is the bed that i planted up last year from scratch.....just look at it now what a difference to the picture in spring. I'm really pleased with the way it's turned out and there's still plenty to come yet. There's still some growing to do so if this is now what will it be like next year. You will see I finally put my step stones to the bird house in. I used flat pieces of local rock and buried these at the right places for my step. It's amazing the difference this makes for access. Found another poppy growing which i've replanted so must have been from seed last year. I love poppy's and plan to sow/plant more of these delightful blooms. The geranium that you can see is actually a self seeded from the front garden...i have so many of these now that they are starting to be weeds....but i just love the flowers and the way they cover themselves with flowers. The pony tail plant is looking good now...when i first bought this and planted it i was in two minds whether to keep it, pleased i did as it grows more graceful and beautiful. I just wish my cat would leave it alone, it likes to lay on the grass and play with the ones wafting above her.

The potatoes are starting to gather pace now and i need to earth up again. I've tried three different varieties this year so i am eager to see how they fare. We may have had a dry April but May and so far into June has made up for it...perfect growing weather. Put my corn in last weekend just have to get the beans and the squashes in. I've decided to grow all three together but due to practicalities i've decided to plant a block of corn, a row of squash and a row of beans in the same bed and see if this works as well as three sisters interplanting.

One of my first roses to open. The Rhapsody in Blue is starting to open her blooms too but with the recent rain it looks a little bedraggled. Greenfly is in evidence and i've been controlling this with garlic spray which i keep handy to zap any i see. Even my Fatsia japonica hasn't escaped....never mind i saw loads of ladybirds on Saturday so i'm sure they will have plenty of food to go at.

The mock oranges are starting to put out flowers now, and i have three of these plants dotted around the garden. I just love the scent of an established plant. My favourite one is a gold variety but this can be difficult to grow as needs a fairly shady spot to stop the leaves from getting scorched. When the plant is covered in flowers and when the heat of the day has passed you get this wonderful heady aroma all around the garden....there is nothing quite like it. I've sited my mock oranges where i can enjoy their scent. I also have a Mexican orange which has lovely leaves and although flowers but needs to do a bit more growing before the scent becomes strong.

Hope that June soon becomes flamin' and that the garden continues with it's progress. The weeds, of course, never let up but another month and they will be slower to germinate and then i can relax a bit in the garden - well that's the theory anyway!

Happy Gardening!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Q said...

Your gardens are so lovely!
I have never grown Mock Orange but put it on my list to see if it is hardy in my zone.
I am looking forward to spending some time reading past posts and getting to know you.
Cheers,
Sherry

6:07 AM  
Blogger Chrissie said...

Your garden is looking really great. I love the pinks and mauves a good combination. Won't it be great to finally dig and eat our own potatoes :-)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks guys for your nice comments.

It's always nice when we get nice gems and see the overall effect. Sooo looking forward Chris to digging my tatties.

Q you must definitely plant a mock orange or two they are beautifully fragranced.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi Zig, Wow things have really taken off! The new garden is beautiful and the pony tail grass is one of my favorites. I've grown it a number of times, but it isn't winter hardy here. I wish it was. I imagine it is a wonderful toy for kitty.

The potatoes look pretty - I like the way potato foliage looks - quite decorative. You should get tons.

I hope you will take some pictures of the mock oranges. Love to see them.

Have a great gardening week and weekend.

Alyssa

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, your garden looks very nice and colourful, is this the first time you have grown vegetables, if not what sort of area do you use?
I have added your link, are you happy to exchange?
Also how is your singing at the minute?

Cheers Mark

7:14 PM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Hi Alyssa, thanks for dropping by it's always nice to see you. I'll try and post some pics of my mock orange aurea as it's in just flowering it's scent is sooo gorgeous and the scent is hanging on the evening air. I can't believe how much the rain has helped everything it's just sprung up over night.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Hi Mark, thanks for dropping by...hope the photographs were up to your high standard. The singing is fine, in fact, was on top form t'other Saturday after going to a 70s night of all things. I've grown veggies for a few years now probably about 6 seriously and dabbled for the past twenty odd. I have my garden split up into sections which i have names for ie Ornamental which is bit of grass with flowers, utility where washing line is, veggie and front garden. I started small and morphed out although did have the area allocated. It's quite a fare size i've allocated just 'cos of the way the garden is.....you can have lots growing in a much smaller space too and add some pots...i've actually run out of space so now planting in pots on the patio ie courgettes, got lettuces now amongst my flowers too in the ornamental garden and the herbs...so you don't need a dedicated veggie garden.

12:54 AM  
Blogger lilymarlene said...

You may have to "help" the corn with fertilisation if you plant them in a row. They are wind pollinated and planting in a block is better.
And I'm sure you've seen the controversy (I've certainly put in my tuppenceworth!) about the Three Sisters method.....don't let the beans climb the corn unless you want all,the beans and the corn, dried for next winter not fresh....like the Red Indians did!
BTW your garden is beautiful. My next prganising job is the flower bit of mine....!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Graham said...

Hi Anne

We will be moving to Portknockie soon (other side of the Firth from you, near Buckie) and I was more than little worried about what we could grow so far north (we're in Hereford at the moment). You've no idea how much your blog has reassured me!!

Graham

(sorry if this is a duplicate)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Lilymarlene....i recalled your comments about the indians and the problems with beans growing up them which made me decide to plant it in three seperate areas in the same bed...i have planted the corn in blocks there are sixteen plants in total in four rows of four to make a block....then i've planted the squashes in a row next to them and then the beans on canes to wind around...i'm hoping that this way i get the best of both worlds....but time will tell i guess.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Hello Graham so pleased it's helped....Portnockie just near Banff...off to visit myself next week for Fathers Day, lovely part of the world but still loads you can plant and grow. Growing season is shorter but we don't suffer with drought to the same extent so there are plusses and minuses. No hosepipe bans up here...yet anyways, but we still get our fair share of good weather. Wind is the killer up here so a good windbreak is essential. Each are has it's own microclimate in any event so that can help too.

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home