Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Easter 2007

This weekend is the the Easter holiday weekend, yippeee. Good Friday is traditionally the day for planting your tatties and I'm no exception.

I'm planting Lady Christyl, my favourites and have proved to be a good cropper in the past and taste just like a new tattie should. I'm also for the first time planting Swift and a row of Vanessa so not sure how they will turn out. So this morning after dropping my cat off at the vet for a check up i was down at the beach collecting kelp. Plan is to pop in the bottom of the trenches and throw a bit of soil over the top and plant the tatties in this. The ground has previously been manured so this should set them off to a good start.

I'm now finding that i'm being forced out of my home by the numerous seedlings that i've got growing in all the bathrooms. Most folk are reputed to keep coal in their baths but i keep plants and seedlings! Even the dining room isn't sacrosanct. I really need to get my greenhouse up this year!

The runner beans are really romping along and i need to slow these down a bit, so i'm going to transfer to the cold frame. It's still too early to plant them outside as we've had a lot of mornings with frosts. What a difference a week makes.

The courgettes are also starting to produce their second leaves but seem ok at the mo. The Impatiens are growing away quite nicely and are looking sturdy plants already. Will need to start potting them on in another couple of weeks.

In the garden the Asparagus continues to put up spears, Purple Pacific only so far though. My garlic is going great guns now although the shallots are a bit slower. No sign yet of the beetroot or carrots that i had sown two weeks ago, but it may be the temperatures aren't quite right yet....also it's been a very dry April so far, the ground could do with a bit of rain.

I'm popping to the garden centre over the weekend too as i'm going to try and pick up some lavender for the veggie garden. Thought i would edge the currant beds with it. This would make a nice decorative edge and also attract insects and bees. Lavender also repels aphids. I thought i would also see if i could get some more Box (Buxus Sempervirens) as i could edge the beds with it where i've got the kerbstones. The plan is (through time) to train the box so that it obscures this and again provides a decorative edge to the beds. Having got the fruit and veg garden whipped into shape (just about) i'm now looking at aesthetics. I want it to be pretty as well as functional. I've always wanted a knot garden and was looking at the utility garden to see if this was possible....i haven't drawn it out to scale but there may be room for a more simple design.

The grass has grown this week again and needs cutting again but this is useful as i've acquired some paper shreddings from partner's mum and useful to mix with grass clipping to compost. I'm really into recycling now....it becomes addictive.

Happy Easter everyone!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi Ziggywigs - Thank you for your comments about my elephant blog. Aren't they amazing creatures! I'm sure your potatoes will love that kelp and manure. I usually dig a trench and throw in half rotted compost. That works too. Oh, you've got a lot of vegetables to nurse on until it's warmer. The lavender edging sounds beautiful and fragrant - could you use lavender in the knot garden? That would be nice too. I, too, am an avid recycler (smaller "footprint" etc.) and am putting every scrap of cardboard, junk mail, and newspaper into the recycling bags for pickup. I also get rid of all our kitchen scraps in our compost bins. And the non-vegetable scraps are thrown into the woods and under the birdfeeder for the critters. Feels good not to waste anything doesn't it? Have a good week and keep us posted on the aesthetics projects you've got in mind. Be looking in soon, Alyssa

8:28 AM  
Blogger A wildlife gardener said...

I know what you mean about squeezing every last available space for seedlings...we gardeners are all the same.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks guys. Thinks are starting to pick up pace here...will need a weeks holidays to get on top of things but maybe i'll make it early May to be sure of the weather.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ziggywigs! what are courgettes?? I can figure out most of your words for things but that one i have no idea! And the seedlings, my boyfriend is so impatient here for his peppers to start he brought them inside from his greenhouse and has the heatlamp we bought for the chicks trained on them! so far it just dries out the trays really quickly, no starts! happy late easter!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Hey Maggie thanks for stopping by. Tee hee...courgettes are Zuchinni's in Canada and US.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Chrissie said...

Hi. I've tagged you as one of the bloggers who makes me think :-) I hope that is ok with you! I really enjoy looking through your pics and comments, and look forward to each new post.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Chris...never thought i made anyone think with my scribblings....and yes i talk the way i write, now if only it was an olympic. :-)

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home