Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Spring has sprung!

The weekend has been a warm one and the mercury hit 23 degrees C - that's hot for Scotland at this time of the year.

Already the neighbours are in regular grass cutting mode during the week and the grass looks like it does in summer. One set of neighbours are already on their second day with the bbq. I didn't have the heart to spoil their peace and quiet with my mower....I'm pretty lucky with my neighbours they're all a great bunch so my mowing can wait another day and they get to enjoy their garden uninterrupted.

Walking around my garden tonight enjoying the very warm sunshine, i noticed my Spirea 'Bridal Wreath' has tentatively flowered....a whole month early. It usually flowers in May in these here parts but this year it's in April. That means spring is here!

Spotted a Swallow yesterday so summer can't be far away, the geese are also flying off after their winter break. Significant numbers of Greylag and Wigeon geese overwinter on the Cromarty Firth. I love to see these making their practice runs. I'm always amazed how they know to fly in a 'v' formation. A few oyster catchers are nesting nearby and they are so funny in that they nest in the unlikeliest of places. Their nests are on the ground and they seem to spend a lot of time chasing passers by. Some even nest on the local golf course near the fourth tee, quite interesting if your ball lands within a reasonable distance of the nest site, they have been known to try and move the golf ball; now if only i could train one to drop it next to the hole.

I've got lots of veggies in pots and desperate to put them out but i'm still worried there may be frosts. I did put them out today in the hot sunshine...not sure they were appreciative of the increased light intensity. Talking of pots i had sown some nasturtiums at Easter in the veggie garden and noticed they are putting up shoots already. Not surprising considering the warmer weather. Must plant more of these....it's a plant that i've only recently discovered and adore with a passion. It's funny how i've ignored it for years to become a complete convert.

Kiwi Jenny is still putting on growth and very pretty the leaves are too, they are multi-coloured and furry. With the promising weather i'm hopeful for a good display this year. Finally got the wires on the fence so she's got something to cling too.

There is an Almenchier tree just outside my garden fence in the wild section which is visible from the bedroom window and it's grown over the past five years to be a nice size and at the moment is covered with a beautiful froth of white flowers. This area runs alongside the veggie garden and is covered with Rosa Rugosa roses and in the summer they look stunning and afford some privacy from the public footpath and also attract birds and bees. I have plans to extend the planting further with some Blackthorn's (Prunus Spinosa) so i can harvest Sloes. Had hoped to get some in last year but time moved quicker than my planning.

Popped to the garden centre today too.....came back with lots of goodies for the Ornamental Garden. Lots of perennials to put in to fill up some of the spaces between the shrubs. I was like a kiddie in a sweetie shop. I bought more violas as the ones i bought last year have already flowered and i was lured by the scent in the garden centre. They sure add colour to the garden, sadly lacking at this time of the year for me. Note to self to get daffodil bulbs in this fall to ensure more spring colour next year. That's me though always thinking ahead! I also bought the lavender for the paths on the steps in the veggie garden as companion planting for the currant bushes. Hopefully i will be able to smell the fragrance from my seating area.

Whilst at the garden centre i was eyeing up the box hedging. D'oh forgot to measure out the area for the hedging and see how many i will need. The knot garden idea has taken root now that i've identified the possible space. At the moment it's not very inspiring with my clothes pole in the middle of a gravelled area. A knot garden may be the answer as i can still keep the stones, yet another jotting in my notebook for future ideas and plans fuelled by a suggestion of lavender for the box garden. I quite liked the idea and as usual my mind is working overtime and now a mixture of box on the outside with lavender on the inside of the knot garden is taking shape....hmmm must really get this down in my jotter.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chrissie said...

A knot garden sounds brilliant! Have you drawn up a design for it?

1:26 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Chris, have scribbled lots down on paper but can't seem to get it right yet...what usually happens is i get inspired and then it all falls into place. When i get a design i'll post on my blog.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi Ziggy, I just noticed you are 6 hours ahead of us. It's 6:21 in the morning with you. Wonder if you're up? Anyway, your gardens look all ready for planting. I wish mine were too, but the ground is still too wet - infact it's raining right now so it will be quite a while before I can get out and turn some soil. I like seeing the seasonal birds too - it makes spring even more exciting. Nasturtiums are a fantastic plant - alot of beauty for very little work. The leaves have quite a bite when mixed in salads. Can't wait to see the progression of your Knot Garden - have you thought of a name for it? Have a good gardening week... Alyssa

9:27 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Alyssa. I hadn't thought of naming the Knot garden! How quaint to name it. I've started doing some rough designs but nothing seems right but i'm sure it will just fall into place....going to borrow a book from the library on knot gardens to get inspired. Yes we're very far ahead, my pal lives in Calgary and i usually get her when she's just up at weekend and my day is winding down...seems odd when she's just starting her day and i've done a days work. Tee hee i was actually up at 6.21am as i was wanting to get an early start at work. The gardens are a bit too dry bit of rain today but nothing near our usual for April, hopefully we will be supplied with enough for good growth. Hope you have a good weekend.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home