Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

End March 2007

Well what a weekend...weather was glorious. Hope it continues at least for a wee while whilst i get everything done.

I spent the whole weekend in the garden trying to get caught up a bit. The soil was in a good workable state, excellent for sowing and planting.

I managed to get some vegetables sown in the seed bed and i've also put in shallots, really felt good to be getting things in. Still to pop my tatties in and hopefully if the weather continues i'll get these in next weekend. Also been sowing lots in trays and managed to get the impatiens pricked out too. They look better already.

The weed seeds were starting to germinate and whilst it narks that they're back, it's better to get on top now before they get a grip. I managed to clear a small bed and a big bed, but still a bit more to do just now. Also planted some primulas and transplanted some tete-a-tete daffodils i'd been growing in pots, made it look a bit more colourful until the other plants catch up.

The grass has fair grown and could do with a haircut. I heard my neighbours firing up their mowers today but i've decided that can be done in the lighter nights in the week if the weather holds. I wanted to get to grips with things that needed a good four hours or so to get done.

I managed to get a bit of time sat in the garden whilst taking a break and sowing seeds in trays. Must say it was really nice sitting in the heat of the sun and just potting up and sowing seeds. The birds seemed busy nest building and the whole day had a peaceful feel to it...but the type that you only get in Spring. The calmness and freshness just before everything erupts and goes daft.

I noticed one of my cats had found herself a prime spot for sleeping in the sun....the water feature! She's known for getting in odd places such as bathroom sinks for a snooze but this has to be the weirdest place as yet I've found her. Before she'd decided to take a siesta she'd been busy running around the garden letting her daft out...usually a sign that spring is nearly here.

I also managed to get my Fatsia Japonica repotted into a much larger pot. It had been in it's previous pot three years and I felt that it needed a bit more room. When the root ball was revealed I seemed to have got it right, so hopefully it's new pot will be it's home for another three years. Not sure what i'll do with it after that as it will be some size of root ball. Will have two choices which will be to root prune it or plant it in the garden. It's not that hardy for the climate this far north so not sure this is a good idea, just in case we do have a really hard Winter one year. At least with a pot I can put it under cover, never mind have three years to decide.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger mim said...

Hello Ziggy
I am always impressed with your and your veg plot. Now I also like the cat, he is sleeping so nicely.

Peas supports are easy just put thin canes through the ends of the netting and use a couple of others along the row as extra support. The netting can then rest on the ground directly, thus letting the peas plants get off to and early start.

Yours mim

10:28 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi, On this side of the world we had a warm day too - a bit too warm even! Sounds like you completely enjoyed yourself with the first "planting" days. I know how you feel. I'm assuming "tatties" are potatoes - right? and "narks" means bad luck or crummy? Don't cats seem to have a natural ability to bask in pleasant situations! I'll look in on you soon. Bye for now, Alyssa

10:31 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Mim. The cat 'Bagpuss' or Baggy for short is a real life wire and sleeps in all sorts of place. Thanks for the advice on the pea support it's something i struggle with.

Alyssa, sounds great weather you have. Yep you are right tatties are Potatoes and narks means nuisance.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Ziggywigs,

That is a really cute cat you have. I'm assuming there's no water in the bowl where she's napping. Looks like she's very relaxed. I need to be that way too.

Love your site!

Dawn in Austin, Texas, USA

7:52 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Dawn. No water in the bowl....she usually tried to catch the water as it cascades down the side. Bagpuss is the youngest cat i have at 3 years.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home