Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Front Garden

I don't very often mention the front garden as it's mainly a drive with beds; a long bed and a triangular one, a small patch of grass surrounded by beds. However, at this time of the year the Mock Orange 'Philadelphus Aurea' starts to flower. This is it's fourth year and is planted in a shady part of the garden as the light coloured leaves scorch from sun, wind and rain very easily as you can see from the picture. This is a beautiful looking bush and a real delight when in flower as it is heavily perfumed and the scent hangs on the evening air and can be evident some 15ft away from the bush in any direction. I planted this in this particular spot for two reason's one, it needed a shady site and two my neighbours have a seating area on the other side of the fence and i thought it would be really nice for them to enjoy the scent. Last year, when it was in flower, i recall coming home from work and as i was opening the front door this wonderful heady scent greeted me, it took me several minutes to work out the source and was delighted when i realised it was this bush.

As you can see it's planted next to a Ceonothus which contrasts well with the dark leaves and the blue flowers. I only lightly prune both these bushes just to keep them in shape the rest they do themselves. I also give a general fertiliser every year just to help them along. On the other side of the mock orange i have a beautiful peach coloured climbing rose and this is it's third year and starting to do very nicely and again contrasts nicely against the golden foliage of the Mock orange.

My other delights in the front garden are my peonies all just about to burst into flower. They really seem to like the position they have been planted in. In the triangular bed i have two, a red one and a white one. At this time of the year the bed is just starting to bloom and then flowers right through.

My other plants are Lavender of which I have several varieties which i bought these from Norfolk Lavender I started out with small plants and potted them up to see what rate each one grew at and then planted them out according to how fast or slow they grew and how big they would get. It worked quite well. I have a particular fondness for Stoechas but more lately have become a firm fan of the English lavender too. I still have a few spaces where i could accommodate more!

6 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Ziggy - How very nice that you planted your mock orange for your neighbors to enjoy as well. I've been reading so much lately about that wonderful plant that it will be on my "to get" list. It sounds fantastic.
The Ceonothus is very striking with the unusual blue colored flowers. Very pretty.

I'm surprised that your peonies are just beginning to bloom. Mine are all over with now. (sigh)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Alyssa, I now have 3 mock oranges and a mexican orange which i moved a few weeks back as it was struggling. I moved it thinking it wouldn't survive and what do you know it's fair perked up, must have been a tad too much sun where it was! The ceonothus is a very pretty plant you can also get in yellow they are just a froth of colour when established. My peonies are just about perfect now but another two weeks and they will be gone :-(

11:45 PM  
Blogger CountryGirl said...

You have an artistic eye in your plantings! I love visiting other blogs to see what other gardeners are doing. My peonies are just about done. Another blog I visit said you can cut stems that are just at the bud stage and wrap them in plastic and put them in the fridge. They will last about a week and then when the blooms outside are gone, you can still have a beautiful arrangement inside. I wanted to try it but time got away from me.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Countrygirl....i try and see how it will look in my minds eye, i move plants a lot of the time as they develop to ensure they still look ok. I also pop in canes throughout the year to mark where i need extra plants or bulbs in spring.

3:00 AM  
Blogger PHILOMENA ELLIS said...

Just took a peek at your site and it looks grrreat. love your front garden and your flowers in tub. i left mine too late to do. been consentrating on the allotment. I have 6 hanging baskets and also do my neighbour's baskets every year. thanks for the comments on the baskets.

phil

2:18 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Thanks Phil. You've done so well on your lottie given what state it was in when you took over less than a year ago. I loved your courgettes i'm just getting flowers on mine the first ones are always male and then a flush of females with baby courgettes.

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home