Life in the Highlands

Hello and thank you for looking at my Blog...i hope you enjoy my site. I'm pretty new to this but hope to keep it all updated with the progress of my garden. I've really enjoyed being able to start everything from scratch and the hard work has been worthwhile. I hope you enjoy seeing my progress too! Feel free to leave comments it's always nice to get feedback.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mid November 2006


The grass is still growing and I had to take a chance and mow it last week, seemed to have benefitted from the haircut as it's looking very smart at the mo. The crazy weather continues with trees dropping their leaves and plants which should be dormant putting out flowers and more growth. The birds are still nesting and one wonders what will happen to them if winter hits with a venegance. They have hardly touched the feeders I filled for them. We've finally had some snow today particularly on the hills. Other areas had it in spades and it caused a bit of bother on the roads.

Continuing to tidy up the garden and have just about cleared all the beds and top dressed them ready for the spring. I've still got garlic to go in but the weather has been very changeable over the weekends and the nights dark early so really restricted to how much time I've got in the garden at the mo.

I've aged another year since my last post and for my birthday now have two cold frames as a result which I'm delighted with. They will make such a difference in the spring to getting underway. Also looking at greenhouses for next year and looking forward to getting that up and running.

All the apples have now been harvested and either eaten or stored. Planning on adding to the apple collection with a cooker next year and didn't want a Bramley but have managed to find a variety called Annie Elizabeth so will be preparing the soil for one of these to go in next Autumn. Will try this on a MM106 rootstock as this shouldn't then grow too big. The nasturtiums are also still flowering in this part of the garden but have died off in the other parts so this is an indication how much shelter the wind netting provides.


The asparagus bed was finished just in time for the plants arriving so have popped them in and top dressed them. Hopefully they should survive the winter with a bit of protection from yours truly. I planted 10 Crowns Of Connovers Colossal and 10 Crowns Of Pacific Purple, and really looking forward to seeing the spears poke their heads up next year.

The autumn raspberries are still to be pruned back with the blackberry canes. The currant bushes are all pruned and ready for the winter.

Not long to Christmas now and it doesn't feel like winter at all but I always think once we have that past Spring is never far away with the lighter nights and we'll be back growing everything again.

Thinking ahead to next year i've placed my potato order. My order for next season consists of Lady Christyl - I know I said I was going to grow something else but I really do like the flavour of these earlies, Swift and also giving Vanessa a try.

Another crop i'm going to try is Sweetcorn Swift F1. This will be a first for me and looking forward to seeing how i get on with this. I love sweetcorn and really looking forward to picking my own juicy cobs - delicious. I am really struggling for space now with all the things I would like to grow.

In the Ornamental garden I did manage to get another bed planted before the soil cooled down so really don't have much to do next year by way of planting to get it all finished off. I've noticed a big difference in the soil temperature despite the milder weather.

The Fatsia Japonica continues to put out it's first flowers and I'm waiting in anticipation for the full effect. We've had a few cold snaps of late and the plant doesn't seem bothered by it at all which is very encouraging. Keep planning to keep it indoors but think I will wait until it's flowered now.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger MrsKP said...

I hope you battened down the hatches last night luvvy. I'd lost a panel out of the plassie greenhouse when I got back from work last night and have yet to venture forth to inspect for collateral damage this morning. Am flying south at 3pm today, so I think the morning will be a busy one.

Hey Ho !

10:43 AM  
Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Yes we've had to tie everything down with the recent wet and windy weather....hope it wasn't too bad your end.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home